So there is this phenomenon called "bulletproof living" that is incredibly popular in certain circles on the internet.  It all started with a guy named Dave Asprey, who is a self proclaimed "bio-hacker" and a very successful entrepreneur living in Silicon Valley.  What the hell is "bio-hacking", right?  Well according to him, it is finding tricks to "optimize and upgrade your biology".  He lost over 100 lbs, and apparently increased his IQ by over 20 points through hacking his own biology.

It all sounds slightly ridiculous, and I fully understand the doubt.  When I first read about it I thought he was off his rocker too.  One of his most popular bio-hacks is something called bulletproof coffee (I know it still sounds ridiculous).  Bulletproof coffee is coffee with lots of healthy fats added in.  I heard about this and thought it sounded interesting, but because I was doing my 12 Week Challenge, I was hesitant to add in all the extra fat calories.  But, those days are gone.  Bring on the fats!

Now, every morning I make a nice big cup of bulletproof coffee.  I make the coffee, then throw in a couple
tablespoons of butter, a few tablespoons of coconut oil, and fire the whole mix in the blender.  The end result is a creamy, delicious, coconutty masterpiece.  The flavor alone is reason enough for you to go and try this immediately.

But, what about all this bio-hacking business?  Well the science, in a very simplified explanation is this.

1.  Coconut oil and good quality grass-fed butter have lots of healthy fats.
2. The brain is composed mainly of fats, and needs healthy fats to function.
3. Caffeine helps the fats get into the brain.
4. The fats slow the absorption of caffeine.


You end up with lots of excellent brain fuel getting into the brain more easily, as well as the mental focus and energy of caffeine but without the huge energy spike.  When I drink a regular coffee I get a ton of energy, sometimes too much, for a couple of hours and then it's done.  With the bulletproof coffee I feel calm, focused, and energized for five or six hours, and never crash afterwards.  And it's just so damn tasty.
The other benefit of bullet proof coffee is that it is very filling. It is actually a sneaky way to do intermittent fasting. Fat doesn't affect insulin, so you can eat fat, fuel your brain, and still get the fat burning effects of intermittent fasting.

Give it a shot. Get some coffee, grass fed butter (Anchor if you live in Asia, Kerrygold in North America), coconut oil (or MCT oil if you can find it), and blend them together.  I'd love to hear if it works for you like it does for me.  Let's try to stay away from calling ourselves bio-hackers though, that's just weird.